Roche Corporate Principles
They define our commitments
Service to Patients and Customers
A prime objective of Roche is to meet patients’ and customers’ needs for high-quality products and services. This implies identifying and solving their problems and anticipating their future needs by maintaining close contacts with them and listening to what they say. Our commitment includes full respect for patients’ individual rights.
Respect for the Individual
We believe that the success of our company depends on the combined talents and performance of dedicated employees. For this reason, we want:
- to build respect for the individual into all our work by ensuring that all members of the organisation understand their responsibility to respect each other’s rights and dignity;
- our people to develop their talents and make optimal use of their abilities and potential and to encourage information-sharing and open dialogue;
- to provide recognition based on performance and contribution to Roche’s success;
- to promote diversity and equal opportunities;
- everyone in the organisation to work under optimal conditions of health and safety.
Commitment to Responsibility
We want to meet high standards of performance and corporate responsibility in all our activities and we apply our Corporate Principles in our dealings with business partners. We are committed to selecting, developing and promoting employees and managers with self-drive and empathy who:
- combine professional competence with a leadership style that motivates people to high performance;
- have an open mind and a sense of urgency, understand the needs of the company and have the courage to question conventional wisdom;
- have the flexibility required to broaden their experience;
- live these Corporate Principles in their decisions and actions.
Commitment to Performance
We aim to continuously create value for our stakeholders and to achieve sustainable, high profitability. We do this in order to maintain our commitment to research, to ensure our growth and independence, to provide employment opportunities, to cover risks and to pay an attractive return on invested capital.
Commitment to Society
We want to maintain high ethical and social standards in our business dealings; in our approach to medical science; in our efforts to protect the environment; and to ensure good citizenship. We maintain these standards by adhering to local, national and international laws; by cooperating with authorities; and by proactively communicating with the public. We recognise the need to work in partnership with our stakeholders and regularly seek their views and take them into account. We support and respect human rights and have implemented the “Protect, Respect, Remedy” approach from the UN Human Rights Council’s Ruggie Framework. We are equally committed to complying with the 10 UN Global Compact Principles; the Universal Declaration of Human Rights; and the Fundamental Labour Rights stipulated by the International Labour Organization’s Declaration on Fundamental Principles and Rights at Work.
Commitment to the Environment
As part of our commitment towards sustainable development we proactively seek to employ new, more sustainable technologies and processes and to minimise our impact on the environment.
Commitment to Innovation
Innovation across all aspects of our business is the key to our success. Being active in hightechnology fields, we must recognise new trends at a very early stage and be open to unconventional ideas. We see change as an opportunity and complacency as a threat. We therefore encourage everywhere in the company the curiosity needed to be open to the world and new ideas.
We are committed to benchmarking our principles and achievements against the industry and best practice; this includes transparent reporting. We will continue to put in place directives and processes that enable us to implement each of our Corporate Principles.